Red Deer RCMP are investigating after receiving a report of a suspicious person on school property yesterday, May 26, 2022.
RCMP received a report of a suspicious male who had approached children on school property outside the Annie L Gaetz school yesterday, May 26 at approximately 3 p.m. The male reportedly approached students and invited them to his van for candy. RCMP have confirmed the students are safe.
The male was travelling on foot and was described as follows:
- Tall and slender
- Shaved head
- Wearing a blue striped shirt and brown shorts
Red Deer RCMP are encouraging parents to speak to their children about safety. The concept of a 'stranger' can be difficult for some children to understand, and following safety habits can help keep kids safe:
- Teach children not to go anywhere with anyone without first getting permission from a parent/ guardian.
- Teach children to always have a buddy with them.
- Practice scenarios with your child. Ask them what they would do if someone approaches them, asks them for help, says their parent sent them.
- Discuss what to do if your child becomes lost or separated from a parent while out in public.
- Encourage your child to tell a parent or trusted adult if someone approaches them, or if a situation makes them uncomfortable.
- Teach your child to trust their instincts & the importance of paying attention to their surroundings.
- Discuss what to do if someone tries to take them somewhere - shouting, kicking, screaming; use the slogan "If asked to go and your parents don't know, SHOUT NO!"
- Teach your older child how to stay safe when home alone.
Safety education is important, as it helps build a child's confidence and critical thinking skills, and prepares them for situations they may encounter.
Red Deer RCMP are committed to community safety. Police request the public to contact police if they have any information about this incident to the Red Deer RCMP at 403-343-5575. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the "P3 Tips" app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.