With the warmer temperatures and snow melting, homeowners need to prepare for possible flooding.
Often we forget about outdoor water runoff during the frozen Winter months.
Here are some tips to make your home safe from water damage this Spring:
1.Inspect the exterior of your home
- Check the outside of your home for cracks along the walls or foundation.
- If you have had issues with water before, it will happen again.
2. Plug in your pump
- If you have a sump pump in your basement, make sure it is plugged in.
- Check the hose is connected to the pump
- Check the sump pump hole for any debris that may clog up your sump pump
- Make certain the hose outside your home directs the water away from your foundation
3. Direct water away from your home
- Inspect the areas around your downspouts for water pooling.
- Make sure the run off is moving away from your home
- If needed, get the area around your foundation graded, or use downspout extensions
- Install weeping tiles around your foundation
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear of any debris like dead leaves or dirt
4. Relocate snow
- One of the easiest ways to avoid flooding is to move the snow away from your home.
- Pile the snow in an area that will run towards a drain or sewer system.
5. Make sure you are covered
- Not all home insurance policies cover water damage caused by flooding.
- Check with your insurance provider to make sure you have the proper coverage in the event of over land flooding.