From the Penhold Fire Department:
Shortly after 6pm on Monday, March 11 Penhold Fire crews responded to a structure fire on Dundee Cr.
Acting Fire Lieutenant Mackenzie Johnston said "on arrival, we saw smoke coming from the main floor of the house and immediately initiated an aggressive interior attack. We found the seat of the fire in the main floor bathroom that had spread into the attic and through the roof."
Acting Fire Lieutenant Carter Carson said " the quick actions of the first arriving engine crew achieved a very quick knock down. The insulation was cellulose so there was a lot of overhaul to do; removing it all from the attic."
Penhold Fire Chief Jim Pendergast said " there were 4 children and 2 adults in the house at the time, one of the children heard a strange noise and saw the fire in the bathroom and told his dad who called 911 and evacuated the house."
Pendergast went onto say "the best chance of surviving a fire is to have working smoke alarms. The Alberta Building Code and the Alberta Fire Code require all dwelling units to have working smoke alarms. This could have had a very different and tragic outcome."
There were no injuries and the cause is believed to be an exhaust fan in the bathroom.
The estimate of damage is $20,000.
7 units and 27 firefighters, along with Public Works, RCMP.
Fortis and Atco Gas also responded.