Around 4 a.m. on June 6, 2022, Red Deer RCMP were conducting patrols in the city’s downtown when they observed a suspicious vehicle that was stationary at an intersection, despite a green light. A search of the licence plate determined it did not match the vehicle, and officers approached.
Officers observed an unresponsive male in the driver’s seat and affected an arrest. A subsequent search of the vehicle revealed two firearms, one of which had been stolen from a local business in 2021, prohibited ammunition and illicit drugs.
41-year-old Christopher Hayward of Airdrie has been charged with:
- Possession of a firearm obtained by an offence
- Possession of a restricted firearm with ammunition
- Possession of unauthorized firearm (x2)
- Possession of a weapon for dangerous purpose (x2)
- Careless use or storage of a firearm (x2)
- Tampering with a serial number
- Possession contrary to order (x8)
- Driving while prohibited
- Possession of a controlled substance
Hayward has been remanded in custody and is set to appear on June 14, 2022 at Red Deer Provincial Court.