The Red Deer and District Community Foundation will be giving away $86,750 through their Spring Community Grants program to ten different local agencies.
“This cycle, we received nearly double the number of applications that we typically receive,” Erin Peden, Executive Director of RDDCF said. “This shows us the enormous level of need within the charitable sector right now. The story that we keep hearing from local agencies is that funding is a struggle, while demand for services and programming remains high.”
The recipients of the grants are as follows:
- $10,000 for the Central Alberta Sexual Assault Support Centre for their 24 Hour Phone, Chat and Web Crisis line
- $5,000 for the Foundation for Red Deer Public School’s Passive Solar Greenhouse Project at Normandeau School
- $16,000 for the Golden Circle Senior Resource Centre for Circling Our Elders
- $6,000 for The Lending Cupboard Society of Alberta for their Client Care IT Upgrades
- $6,500 for the Olds and District Hospice Society’s Bereavement and NavCARE Support
- $15,000 for the Red Deer Arts Council’s The Hub 2.0 Wednesdays at the YMCA
- $8,000 for the Red Deer Community Band Society’s Waskasoo SeePee Traditional Pow Wow
- $3,250 for the Scientists in School’s Expanding STEM Enrichment to Undeserved Schools in Red Deer
- $10,000 for Shalom Counselling Centre of Alberta for Making Mental Wellness Affordable
“Going forward, we are working towards better supporting agencies in developing sustainable funding for their organizations,” Peden said. “We are available for any local charities who want to discuss sustainable funding options.”
The Red Deer & District Community Foundation distributes Community Grants twice annually, in the spring and the fall. Applications for the Fall cycle of the Community Grants program are open now, with a deadline of October 3.