On Feb. 8, 2023, at approximately 2:14 p.m., an officer with the Rimbey RCMP while on patrol came across a stolen pick-up truck driven by a known and wanted offender. The police officer attempted to initiate a vehicle stop with the truck, but in an effort to evade apprehension, the driver and the vehicle fled and drove into the ditch, then became stuck. The driver and sole occupant of the vehicle then fled on foot into the nearby wooded area.
Shortly after, the suspect was taken into custody with the assistance of RCMP police dog services, at which time he sustained minor injuries.
The suspect, Michael Garth Blair (23), a resident of Rocky Mountain House, Alta., was wanted on five outstanding warrants, was on a driving prohibition order and a release court order.
Blair is now facing several new charges:
- 2 counts of possession of stolen property (stolen Truck and Trailer)
- 8 counts of failure to comply with conditions from a release court order
- fail to comply with conditions of a probation order
- flight from police
- resisting arrest
- possession of a ammunitions contrary to court order
- driving while prohibited
- driving a motor vehicle without insurance
After a judicial interim release hearing, Blair was remanded into custody and will be appearing in Ponoka Provincial Court on Feb. 10, 2023.