Just before 4:30 Wednesday morning, Environment Canada issued a heat warning for most of Central ALberta.
Daytime high temperatures ranging from 29 degrees Celsius to the mid 30's combined with overnight lows near 14 degrees Celsius are expected through Thursday.
Residents of and visitors to the warned regions are advised to take the following precautions to protect themselves, their families and their neighbours:
- Consider rescheduling outdoor activities to cooler hours of the day.
- Take frequent breaks from the heat, spending time in cooled indoor spaces where possible.
- Drink plenty of water and other non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated beverages to stay hydrated.
- Check for your children or pets before you exit your vehicle. Do not leave any person or pet inside a closed vehicle, for any length of time.
Monitor for symptoms of heat stroke or heat exhaustion, such as high body temperature, lack of sweat, confusion, fainting, and unconsciousness.
Pay particular attention to individuals that can experience earlier or more severe effects from heat including infants, children, seniors, and individuals with pre-existing lung, heart, kidney, nervous system, mental health or diabetic conditions, outdoor workers, as well as those who are socially isolated.
Heat warnings are issued when very high temperature conditions are expected to pose an elevated risk of heat illnesses, such as heat stroke or heat exhaustion.
4:27 AM MDT Wednesday 27 July 2022
Heat Warning in effect for:
- City of Red Deer
- Co. of Stettler near Stettler Nevis and Rochon Sands
- Lacombe Co. near Clive Alix and Mirror
- Lacombe Co. near Eckville
- Lacombe Co. near Lacombe Blackfalds and Bentley
- Ponoka Co. near Ponoka and Maskwacis
- Red Deer Co. near Elnora Lousana and Delburne
- Red Deer Co. near Penhold Innisfail and Bowden
- Red Deer Co. near Pine Lake
- Red Deer Co. near Spruce View and Red Lodge Prov. Park
- Red Deer Co. near Sylvan Lake and Stephansson House
- Co. of Wetaskiwin near Pigeon Lake
- Ponoka Co. near Crestomere
- Ponoka Co. near Rimbey Bluffton and Hoadley